Anytime I get asked from friends about how they can start learning how to cook, I normally suggest for them to try out either simple pasta dishes or stir fry. They are the easiest meals you can throw together and, even better, you can really customize them to be with ingredients you truly like to eat. Also, neither of these dishes are normally that photogenic which means they have to taste delicious, right?
This dish is fairly healthy minus which teriyaki sauce you decide to use. Since I just moved to Colorado and I’m really feeling out my different grocery stores I just grab a new one that I thought looked like the best option. I do have personal favorite brands and flavors that I tend to go for though (like this one). I would love to learn how to make a good homemade version so if you have a good recipe, do share with your girl!
- Chicken – I normally either get 2-3 chicken breast from the deli
- Teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- Veggies (listed the one I prefer below but add or exchange for personal preference)
- Snap Peas
- Bell peppers or sweet peppers
- Soy Sauce (optional)
- Butter (optional)
- Start by boiling chicken in a large pot on the stove.
- Begin to steam rice in about 2 1/2 cups of water in a smaller pot on med/high heat.
- Boil broccoli in a small pan until softens.
- Sauté veggies in a large frying pan on medium heat and in a little bit of olive oil. Depending on your veggies will determine when you add them into the frying pan. For those I listed above, I’ll start with peppers and snap peas to cook down first and then add in the onions and soften broccoli.
- For mushrooms, I normally boil them in a small pan on high heat. Once those are brought to a boil, I drain the water and then sauté them on medium heat in a little bit of soy sauce and a scoop of butter until that cooks away.
- Once your chicken is cooked white all the way through, shred it into pieces.
- Clear the frying pan of all the veggies once cooked. Add in shredded chicken and cook on low heat with teriyaki sauce.
- Once chicken and rice is complete, mix all ingredients together.