I wanted to take a moment here to discuss EMFs, Electromagnetic Fields, and how we should be interacting with these fields as well as self-care.
What Are EMFs?
The National Cancer Institute defines electric and magnetic fields as invisible areas of energy that are produced by electricity, which is the movement of electrons, or current, through a wire. Electric fields are produced whether or not a device is turned on, whereas magnetic fields are produced only when current is flowing.
We come in contact with this energy every day. This energy helps us communicate, cook, and even solve complex medical issues.
- Radio Broadcasting Waves
- Cell Phone Radiation Waves
- Wifi + Bluetooth Waves
- Infrared Waves
- X-Ray Waves
Being in a field where I’m constantly interacting with technology makes it difficult to avoid. But there are simple ways we can disconnect more from everyday technology and EMFs!
- Take breaks every 30 minutes – take your hands off the keyboard, move your eyes around the room, take a quick walk, grab a snack. There are so many ways you can step away.
- Set devices 5-6 feet away from you when watching television.
- Get outside without devices for 30 minutes to an hour a day. Go for a walk without your phone, layout at the pool, go for a bike ride, have coffee with a friend.
- Set limits on your Social Media platforms or your phone altogether.
- Unplug electronics by the bed or remove from your bedroom all together when sleeping.
- Flip off the circuit breaker to your room.
Can you think of any additional tips that can help you disconnect from your devices?