Oh, the open road.
It’s a great escape during this time but it can also be a daunting one if we’re trying to stick to our health goals. Gas stations and rest area vending machines aren’t necessarily the best options when it comes to fueling our body with nutrition-dense food. Top 40 and talk radio also might not be the best option to feed our brains for a long drive either. Which is why today I’m sharing my tips on how I prepare for a long drive, because we know I’m on the road plenty! (Stay tuned for a Healthy Flying Guide soon)
I’ve been on my fair share of long drives and to be honest I’m not always super excited about them. There has been many mornings before hitting the road that I dreamed of a time traveling machine that would just zap me right to my desired location. But on days that I plan ahead, I can actually be excited for the time in my car.
Working a desk job for 40 hours a week and running a blog on the site, it can be a much needed change of pace to get away from screens. And I know I’m not the only one that needs this change every once in awhile. So might as well use the time I’m already spending in the car to focus on hobbies I wouldn’t necessarily have time to invest in.
So what is my plan you ask? Here is how I prepare before my road trips to make the time more enjoyable:
- Clean my car, vacuum the floors, and insert a new Air Freshener (I use the car fragrances from Bath & Body Works)
- It feels so good to spend time in a fresh space!
- You’ll also need space for your suitcase and anything else you’ve packed so remove unnecessary items you’ve had store in your backseat and trunk.
- Prep Podcasts and Music Playlists
- I go back and forth between the two when I find my mind drifting off. Sometimes podcasts are nice to dive into for new inspiring information and at other times, you just need to have a little car karaoke session.
- Here is my current playlist I’ve been jamming out to in the car.
- Favorite recent Podcasts:
- Den Talks Podcast
- Teaching Yoga Podcast
- Goal Digger Podcast by Jenna Kutcher
- Mile High Podcast
- Pack snacks – this is a very important one!
- Favorite road snacks:
- Pretzel sticks
- Lara Bars
- Built Bars
- I pretty much like anything that is light (in the sense I won’t feel heavy or tired after eating too much) and that won’t be distracting to eat.
- Favorite road snacks:
- A good pair of Sunglasses
- Because it’s always more fun to be fashionable – but we also need to protect our eyes.
- If you wear contacts, have your glasses ready incase your eyes get dry and you need to switch out.
- You might be thinking, “we’re not outside”. But you are still being exposed to sun rays so not only should we look out for our eyes but our skin as well.
- Stop & enjoy the view when possible.
- A really smart person once said “It’s not just about the destination, it’s about the journey” (It was Ralph Waldo Emerson if you were wondering). Give your mind and eyes a break from staring at the road & take in some open air.
- Simply enjoy your time!